When: Wednesday, February 21st
Where: Volta Labs, 1505 Barrington Street, Halifax (7th floor)
Cost: Free (but seating is limited)
Navigating taxes can be tough, especially when you’re working for yourself! What items do creatives forget to deduct? How do you even register to be a bonified business when starting up? What’s the difference between a bookkeeper and an accountant? E3C is pleased to provide the guidance of Haley Mitchell of Upstart Consulting to help you steer the course.
In this engaging 1 hour presentation, Haley will help demystify some of the most common tax topics specific to the creative and start-up industries such as:
- when to register for GST/HST
- expenses and how to track them
- information on registering your business name
- the difference between being an employee and being self-employed
- the role of a bookkeeper or accountant in helping you stay on top of it all
- open Q & A for your specific questions
This talk is ideal for anyone currently freelancing, or considering starting their own business. Refreshments and snacks will be provided, so you can mingle with fellow attendees afterwards. It wouldn’t be an E3C event without it!
About the Presenter
Haley Mitchell is a Certified Professional Bookkeeper with over 10 years’ experience working in accounting and tax. Since opening her business, Upstart Consulting, she has focused on clients working in the creative market and start-ups.